Friday, January 15, 2010

Has anybody ever ';ridden'; a salon or barber chair, by making it go up and down?

Yeah, I know... it's a weird question, but I am just curious, is all.Has anybody ever ';ridden'; a salon or barber chair, by making it go up and down?
Well yeah. Any guy older than about 45 has CERTAINLY done so. He went as a kid to the barbership.





It was fun, too. There are different designs of those chairs. Some go up and down smoothly, others in little bumps - going up - as the fellow pumped the footpedal.





Years ago, I remember stopping off in a rural little town in California, in the Sierra Nevada foothills, to get a soda at this ramshackle little gas station-grocery store. It was the center of the tiny village, up there in the woods off a secondary county route through a remote locale. My girlfriend of the time could hardly wait to go inside the store, it was very hot and the air conditioning in the car was not up to the weather. She made a beeline to the cooler. I stood in the doorway and stared in wonder.





In the center of the store was a gigantic old barber's chair. It was wholly out of place. Sitting in the chair was an ancient crone, with yellowed scraggly teeth and wild, dirty grey hair. She wore a gingham dress and no shoes on her wrinkled and weathered feet. Gathered around her was a group of people ranging from middle age to fairly young. One was a perfectly beautiful girl with golden hair and generally a look that would give Daisy Mae fits of jealousy.





The old crone held up the pages of a letter, clearly handwritten. The golden girl leaned over the old woman's should and slowly read the scrawled text aloud to everyone. A couple of the people looked up at me and gave glances that asked whether I was there for business or to be a bother to them. I nodded and went over to the cooler, fetched out a Coke, and joined my girlfriend at the old counter by the register. We popped the bottle caps using the opener mounted on the side of the counter and drank up while waiting for someone to come and let us pay.





About the time we were finishing, the golden girl slap-slapped over to use, her flip-flops making the only sound in the room besides the hum of the cooler's motors. ';Y'all 'bout done?'; she asked in an Appalachian accent.





In answer I gulped the last bit, and my girlfriend set her bottle down next to mine. ';Yup, guess so,'; I told the young beauty. My girlfriend noticed I was talking to the girl's breasts instead of her face and gave me an elbow to show she noticed.





';That's fine then, no need to get that bottle dee-pose-it from yeh,'; smiled the girl. She asked for the cost of the drinks, I paid, that was it.





Going out the door, I turned around and asked, ';Does that chair still work?'; Golden girl looked up from behind the counter and over at the chair, now empty and deserted. ';Oh, I think. Wanta see?';





I tripped over my feet getting to the chair. The girl came over behind me, draped her slender fingertips over my shoulder and said, ';Now, y'all hold on.'; She stepped on the hydraulic footpedal and the chair shot straight up to its stops, a goodly rise, immediately. It was so forceful I nearly flew out of the chair when it stopped.





';We don't use that much now,'; explained the girl as she set the chair to sink back down. ';Granny is too little to climb up very far, and she is the only one normally sits here. But the boys, they like to work the pump and catch some one like you - they find it such a joy to trick the strangers.'; I climbed out of the chair, a little shaken and not only by the ejector-seat action of the lift. ';Y'gal is waitin' for you,'; said the golden girl with a little smile and wave of her fingertips. ';You drive careful, now.';





Oh, yeah, I have ridden the chairs.Has anybody ever ';ridden'; a salon or barber chair, by making it go up and down?
ME!!! :)
indeed with the girl on top
i doubt it i know i havent so yeah i agree with you it was a wierd question to ask
mabey... who's askin?...

No comments:

Post a Comment