Friday, January 15, 2010

Question for the guys...would you prefer to have your hair cut at a unisex salon or a traditional barbers shop?

Please give your reasons why on your preferred choice.


I am just curious because my 10 yr old will only go to a barber shop, although he doesn't mind a female cutting his hair as long as it's in a barbers.Question for the guys...would you prefer to have your hair cut at a unisex salon or a traditional barbers shop?
im not a guy but if u son wants to go to the barber shop take him there instead, or ask him y he only wants to go to the barber.Question for the guys...would you prefer to have your hair cut at a unisex salon or a traditional barbers shop?
Unisex because I'm gay ahahah


but even if I wasn't I would say


Unisex because I like to have my hair sort of long
For traditional short styles with a tapered back/sides and a tapered edge such as a regular taper cut, crew cut, flat top crew cut, forward brush, ivy league, brush cut; in states where there is still a difference in the training and licensing of barbers and cosmetologists, a skilled barber will usually do a better job. Most stylists idea of tapering the back/sides of a short haircut is to ask what guard number. Same with the top of a crew cut, the guard number question, completely not understanding that a crew cut is not a butch cut and is graduated on length on top. Tapering an edge to zero length is not a skill that most stylists are trained in or proficient at. Skilled barbers don't use clipper guards when siding; but taper clipper/shears over comb or free hand with a clipper, and the resulting quality is plain to see.


For longer over the ear styles and where clippers are not used and there are no tapered edges, a skilled stylist who cuts men's hair is usually a better choice than most barbers. I have been to a few salons I enjoyed and had great longer cuts by stylists. One had individual private areas for each person getting a haircut. The ones I don't really enjoy are where someone is getting hair dyed in the next chair and loudly chatting about this or that celebrity that I can't help but hear as they are trying to talk over the obnoxious loud music playing. I also don't like to look at the strange hairstyles, tattoos and piercings worn by some stylists and younger barbers. This is all kind of minor to an adult, since the haircut is going to be with a person a lot longer than time spent getting it, but I think I'd be concerned if I was a 10 year old's parent. When I was 10, I had only worn short haircuts and been to a barber shop, I know I would not have liked going to a salon because when I grew my hair longer a couple of years later and my mom wanted her stylist to start cutting it, I would only go after hours when the shop was usually closed and I was the only person there. If I had a 10 year old son who wanted to get barber shop haircuts, I honestly don't think I'd question it but just be glad he did. The answer at the link below may help to better understand the short haircuts like your son might wear and that barbershops are usually better at cutting. The first two links contained therein are quite informative:


http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?鈥?/a>


regular taper cut:


http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/5761/鈥?/a>


http://h.imagehost.org/0225/2655082-phot鈥?/a>


ivy league:


http://h.imagehost.org/0168/Kid_with_a_C鈥?/a>


crew cut:


http://tbn0.google.com/hosted/images/c?q鈥?/a>


http://img91.imageshack.us/img91/2842/st鈥?/a>


http://tbn0.google.com/hosted/images/c?q鈥?/a>


http://tbn0.google.com/hosted/images/c?q鈥?/a>


[A crew cut is a timeless prep haircut, the photo directly above is from 1946, and yet if the photo was in color, both the guy and the clothes he is wearing could be in the latest J Crew catalog. ]


forward brush cut:


http://i33.tinypic.com/w6tu0o.jpg


The short pomp cuts-crew cut, ivy league, flat top crew cut- are very easy to groom and keep looking well groomed all day which is one reason crew cuts and ivy leagues are popular styles. When I got my first crew cut and came home form the barber shop, my dad stood me in front of the bathroom mirror and taught me this method of applying butch wax.


1) Towel dry hair.


2)Barely dip fingertips in jar of wax.


3) Transfer wax to palms.


4) Smooth palms over hair.


5) Brush hair off forehead to form short pomp front.


To summarize the answer to the question, for me at present, whether I prefer to go to a barber shop or salon depends on the style of haircut and if I know a barber or stylist who is good at cutting the style. I don't think this would have been my preference when I was 10. I only wore short barbershop styles then and there is no way I would have wanted to go to a salon.


Good Luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment